Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Illustration (Fall '07)

This is work produced in Thomas Applegate's 'Illustration' class at Cogswell. I had the choice of doing either acrylic or watercolor and opted for the latter (my personal favorite wet medium). It was a great class; I wish I had time to do more painting right now. =/

The following three pages were homework assignments while we spent a month or so working on skin tones. I painted from portraits I found in newspapers, magazines - whatever I could find lying around. They are all fast drawings with between 30 and 45 minutes of paint.




This next one was painted from a live model. 2 hours is way too much time to do a watercolor portrait...


These next scans are from a bigger assignment. We had to incorporate what we learned painting from life into our own design. With Christmas coming up I chose to do something that involved Santa Clause, patterned after the Coca Cola ads of the mid 20th century, but with a twist. ;)

sketch
photoshop comp

finished painting

This next painting is a Photoshop study of a life model. The idea was that I would put my practice working with real medium to the digital test, and I was pretty happy with the results! None of the colors used were sample from the photograph.



Lastly is my final project for the class, a "master copy". I chose to do a copy of one of John Howe's watercolor illustrations for Lord of the Rings (because I'm such a Tolkien nut). I estimate I spent about 16-20 hours painting it.


Next I'll be posting some stuff from my current life drawing class, but I'm all scanned out for the night. Thanks for viewing!

No comments: